View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

My Aunt Angie called me today to ask about my husband. They all know he has neuropathy but they DO NOT UNDERSTAND FULLY WHAT THIS IS. I've tried many times, but forget it, they don't get it.

So now that I also have diabetic neuropathy, I also know what Alan has been through. So I'm explaining to my Aunt Angie about neuropathy.,

She goes, "exactly what is this neuropathy thing". So I gently explained in layman's terms (she's 83) about the myelin sheath on the nerves and the mixed signals between the nerves and the brain.

Believe me, I put it as simply as I can. Then I got to the part about the feet buzzing and pins and needles and burning. And she said and I quote: "Oh, neuropathy is not painful then??" I replied "where on earth did you get that idea??" She said 'but you just said it's buzzing, like the sound bees make".

So I said "yes, your feet buzz". And she replied 'but you are only hearing the buzzing, you are not feeling anything, you are hearing your feet buzz, right, that's what neuropathy is, right?? you hear your feet buzz"???

I just looked at the phone in my hand and said "Aunt Angie, you feel it, you don't hear the buzz, you feel the buzz", and she said 'what do you mean, your feet buzz???" and I just went BZZZZZZZZ into the phone and said 'Imagine your feet having a bunch of bees crawling all over it??" and she said "Oh my god, I had no idea". Then I said 'yeah, well, at the same time, imagine stabbing, and burning". And she said "oh my god".

She was going OH My God, until she hung up. Finally, somebody learned about neuropathy.

One at a time people!!!!!

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Macophile (09-03-2008)