View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I applied for my disability 17 years ago. Got it 15 years ago.

Alan applied 5 years ago and was approved in 6 months. Didn't get the money right away but heck, every little bit helps, right.

When I went, I had doctor's notes up the kazoo. X-rays of my wrists, and back, and when I went for the medical examination part (by the disability people), the person told me to do a squat. Now I have degenerative joint disease in both knees. I CANNOT DO SQUATS. I told the guy this. He couldn't care less. He said "do the squat".

I tried to do the squat, my knees gave out, I ended up on the floor and people had to get me up. I still got denied.

Had to go in front of a judge after two turndowns. Got a disability lawyer.

I will never forget happened. Alan and I are sitting at a table, with my lawyer, there's this judge up on his pedestal. I just turned and asked Alan a quiet question, and the judge barked at me and said 'no talking in my court". I said to myself "I'm dead". And this happened on my birthday no less, November 4th.

So my lawyer gets up and does his thing, the judge asks me certain questions (I don't remember any of that part).

What I do remember is what followed and I will never forget it.

They tell us all to please step out. Then my lawyer remained behind, in the room with the judge. For about 20 minutes or so. Then we hear laughing. Alan and I looked at each other and said "these guys know each other???"

Then my lawyer comes out and says "we'll get a decision soon".

A few weeks later, I got a letter indicating my decision was favorable, and do I want to appeal?. Now why on earth would I want to appeal a favorable decision. I decided it was a form letter (the first part of the letter), and then all the personal stuff (why they found me disabled, blah blah), followed on subsequent pages.

But I never forgot my lawyer and the judge, laughing in the other room.

You can't tell me that there's nothing FUNNY, going on behind whether or not we get decisions.

It's probably all changed now, many years later.

Here's hoping things work out for Seams.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote