View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I can't answer for Joe, but I can tell about my neuropathy. I do not have the numbness so much anymore. When I first moved to Long Island almost 3 yrs ago, I would walk the beach every Friday, even in winter. Now, I can't walk it in the cold, can't even walk it much anymore. I used to go to the Great South Bay and walk and walk, then realize I had no idea how I was going to get back to the car. My right foot would be hurting so bad and then my left hip would kick in it's 2 cents worth and each time I went, I would wonder why I always wandered so far. This summer, I found just getting to the water's edge at the ocean seemed more than I could handle and getting back to the car was . There has been so much beach erosion here this year and it seems like such an uphill climb back to the car. Then, also, of course, I always want to be barefoot, which , yes, I know I shouldn't do. Now, the sand hurts my feet. They feel like they are on fire--now I actually know what people mean when they say their feet burn. It's not the heat of the sand, it's my feet. I keep trying, painful as it is, it is still the most beautiful place on earth and I can't imagine not being able to be there.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote