Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Oh Billye, In a way I am jealous?

As I'd tried water exercises [ and I was the youngest there by about 15 years?] Honestly, it was shortly after my onset and I was weak, very weak...Things came to rule it out...first. I'd started in early fall...it got cold early..I was WARM=OK in the facility, but in the 10 minutes from the pool to home, well my feet and hands truly turned BLUE PLUS! I'd spend the rest of the day exhausted from the water [that 'resistance' thing] and just sleep under an electric blankie on HI till I couldn't stand it anymore. Since my own sweating/regulation systems are compromised other than taking in more water...what could I do? It was [sort of like Dan] stubbing my ingrown big toe to the point of emergency treatment by my podiatrist.. that made me stop the water thing, tho It's a WORKOUT...without exception. I'd really jammed the nail into to toe and the podiatrist refuses to cut it out, as 'complications mite occur'.. I can't blame him for caution. Especially as he was the one who'd convinced me to get second opinions and more.

Most of what you're probably doing is a sort of accellerated 'Pilates' or 'lo-impact' bunch of stretching and strenthening set of exercises... They usually start you out to what I call BEYOND THE LIMIT and it's up to you to be a bit assertive here and SAY: YEP!!!! BEyond the limit? When you've been far less mobile and flexible than BEFORE you got hurt, you really can't expect to DO as before...realistically? The key is to go slow, if you get shaky or wobbly on one excercise, switch off to another for a 'different' part of you.. Probably the whole body at this point 'needs work'? Speak up when, doing reps on any one thing...you feel the 'deadness or wobblies' start to come on..not after. You can always do something different and come back. Till you meet the numbers or the 'minutes' of PT... I promise to post anew, under a new thread the series or various sites for exercies that I have found which are useful.. Each aspect tho is body-site specific...it's up to you and the PT to determine what-which-alls work best for YOU and what YOU need.
With PT, sometimes IF you REALLY hurt in some key places, it is to your benefit in the long run to COMPLAIN. Modifications in the 'program' can and will be made to do the best works with the least pain..Good therapists can spot trouble areas just by 'putting their hands' on you...They are folks to treasure...Cultivate and keep a relationship with these people even after you are 'done' with your course of therapy...

I sure wish I was with you...each of us going: YOU WIMP! But, IT HURTS!...etc..how about FIVE more? etc.. I won't make the BET tho...I believe that you will walk far less like a duck after 10 sessions! I know I did? I relapsed only because of fractured foot and ankle issues last year and had to start over.
It's hard work, but it's stuff that CAN and will be done...Improvement is inevitable! Show us it is? Hugs in the interim! 's- j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote