View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am somewhat fortunate in that my neuropathy seems to be episodic. It has calmed somewhat in the past two years since I had to stop working, but I am definitely not symptom-free. I refer to my neuropathy sometimes as "the parade of sensations".

It is worst when I'm having an acute exacerbation of my Sjogren's syndrome. That's when I'll get the stocking and glove stuff, numb from the knees down and from the elbows down. So far, I've only experienced complete numbness three times that lasted long enough for me to actually see a neurologist while it was happening.

It's more common for me to get partial numbness in a limb. It usually wears off without treatment. Sometimes I am not aware of it until it is pointed out to me in an exam.

The most consistent sensation is burning in my feet, especially when I first get up for the day. You know when you have a body part that's trying to wake up when it has fallen asleep? That's what it feels like.

The most embarrassing sensation is the intense stabbing pain, like being struck by lightning. Embarrassing because it's so sudden and so painful that I will actually gasp or scream, startling whomever happens to be nearby. Thank goodness the pain isn't continuous.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it varies a great deal.

fanfaire