View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Facts you may not know about RSD

INTRODUCTION:

A few people have suggested that I put my posts on specific aspects of RSD into a single thread so that it will be easier to see how they fit together. I shoulda figured that out. Unlike Hooshmond’s Puzzles, however, which flit from one idea to another like a demented moth, I will try to place them in some rational order.

Those of you who remember my posts at BrainTalk remember long and extremely boring lectures on the immune response to trauma; ischemia-reperfusion injury (IRI) and; oxygen free radicals (OFRs). There is no way to make these subjects exciting, but I think if I had taken more time to show why they are so important, readers would have found a reason to plow through them.

The best reason to learn about those things is the knowledge that they are the best explanation of the cause, course and nature of the disease we share. Why learn what causes ischemia unless you know that ischemia causes RSD?

The first three posts of this series will provide all of the proof anyone needs in order to understand exactly how ischemia is responsible for every sign and symptom of this disease.

The first will talk about allodynia, and will present undisputed facts about how or sensory nerves function and how ischemia causes some of them to malfunction. I think that after reading it, most here will agree that it certainly can cause allodynia.

The next will talk about how ischemia causes the deep, bone chilling cold, and the lowered skin temperature we all suffer. I also hope to talk about it can cause the burning sensations on our skin. The last will help the reader understand how ischemia can cause every other sign and symptom of this disease.

Once you have read exactly how ischemia causes each one of your symptoms, you may be less inclined to rely on vague talk about “nerve damage”; talk that never gets around to telling us which nerves – or even which nervous systems – are damaged. That will prepare you for posts on why our nerves can’t do what the RSD “experts” tell us they do.

Those who have read my posts on hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) in Buckwheat’s thread Vascular Issues, will have to wait a while before I talk about the ischemic damage that HBO repairs, but at least now you can be pretty sure you will eventually find that information here. (Assuming my strength endures and He doesn’t pull me out of the game early, like I keep asking Him to do).

Finally, if I haven’t explained things so that they make sense to you, please ask questions. These are just letters on a page unless you understand them completely. If you find a contradiction, point it out: challenge me, make me prove every detail. If I can’t do that, ischemia may not be the answer to RSD, but if I can, you really need to learn all about this stuff…Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :