Thread: veinogram
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 12:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default vascular TOS

I've been catching up on my "reading". Saw below on http://www.vascularinstitute.com/Resource_TOS.htm

So has anyone had surgery for this type of TOS? Are there recommended surgeons for vascular as opposed to neuro compression. The doctor phoned and told me I definitely need surgery on one side and possibly on the other. He said that vein/artery is very compressed and compression over time can lead to a build up of scar tissue inside the vessels. Yikes. Venogam is next. But I gotta say, my arm doesn't turn blue when it swells-I think this is a good sign.

Melissa--yes, I saw the doctor at Univ MN. Regarding your scalene block; the one I had at Sanders' does not treat but is a diag. tool. It made me comfortable for only 15mins. Are you getting botox or something like that injected that will be longer lasting ? PM me and we can share dr names. if you have an pain anesthesiologist you like or others I'd like ot hear.

from website:
"Types of TOS

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome complaints can be caused by impingement on nerves, artery or vein. Arterial TOS is the rarest form and is usually manifest by a clot in the arteries of the forearm or hand. The clot originates from the subclavian artery. In this case, a cervical rib has usually pushed on the artery from below resulting in damage and clot formation. If this problem is not corrected, the clots continue to travel downstream and eventually plug up the arteries causing symptoms of pain in the arm and a loss of the pulses in the wrist.

Venous TOS is also uncommon. It presents as a sensation of fullness and swelling in the entire arm .This may be noticed during or after strenuous exercise involving the arm, or a person may awaken with a swollen, bluish arm. The cause of venous TOS is the pinching of the vein at the base of the neck. An abnormally enlarged or mal-positioned muscle as it inserts under the first rib commonly causes the pinching of the vein."
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote