Thread: Blocks??
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've never heard of getting blocks causing spread either. Invasive procedures such as surgery, is where the greatest chance of spreading come from, besides just the normal progression of the RSD itself.

I have read some papers here and there that say getting an excessive amount of blocks can cause damage to the nerves in that area as well as causing scar tissue to build up. That of course is a bad thing and the reason why many doctors won't give more than 6 blocks in a series. Some will only do 4. It's really an individual doc thing. Blocks can, in some people, really help but it takes more than one. Most docs will give a series of blocks, either one or 2 in a week or 1 then follow up with the next one within 2 weeks. It sometimes becomes more effective, giving longer relief with each block. The reason the pain seems so much worse after the effects of the block wear off is because your body has felt no pain for the 1st time in X amount of weeks and months. It's become used to feeling pain and you build up a resistance, so to speak, to feeling a certain level of pain all the time. All of a sudden it's gone, but when it returns the pain you feel seems twice as bad because your body now has to "get used to" the pain all over again. Hope that makes sense.

Also from what I've read up on if your pain has gone independent the blocks usually give no relief from pain at all though it may help swelling and increase temp in the affected limb. The time if takes for it to go from sympathetically maintained to independent varies with each person just like our symptoms do. My experience with the 1 block I had was absolutely terrifying. My skin temp and color of the one leg was normal for a few hours but my pain level was sky high and stayed that way for 2 months!! It was truly the worst experience ever for me. The block was given over a year after RSD started for me and was already full body at that point as well.

Rogue, when you had that block done, did they use flouroscopy? I'm not sure when they actually began to use it all the time, but the reason it's used now when giving a block is to make sure they put the needle exactly where it's supposed to be. There is a greater chance of hitting a nerve or nerves that shouldn't be hit without it. From what you say, it sounds like that's what may have happened in your case. I can't think of any other reason why you'd have a bit of your body twitch and not stop all these years. *Hugs* Sorry you had to have it done to you by a doc who obviously didn't know what the heck he was doing!

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote