Thumbs up Excellent research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariner View Post
Hello,

Again an article of yesterday's harvest

Greetings
Karine

1: Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2006 Mar;6(2):169-76. Links
Excessive daytime sleepiness and unintended sleep in Parkinson's disease.
Rye DB.
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, 101 Woodruff Circle, WMRB-Suite 6000, PO Drawer V, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA. drye@emory.edu

Patients with Parkinson's disease and parkinsonian syndromes (eg, dementia with Lewy body disease, multisystem atrophy, and Shy-Drager syndrome) suffer from daytime sleepiness. This sleepiness is common and very real, often approaching levels observed in the prototypical disorder of sudden-onset sleep, namely narcolepsy/cataplexy. Physicians need to be vigilant in assessing parkinsonian patients for sleepiness because treatment can dramatically enhance quality of life and prevent the significant morbidity and mortality that attends daytime sleepiness. Male patients with advanced disease, cognitive impairment, drug-induced psychosis, and orthostatic hypotension are most at risk for developing pathologic sleepiness. Because primary sleep disorders can coexist with parkinsonism (eg, sleep apnea, insufficient or interrupted sleep), these potential causes should be carefully assessed with polysomnography and treated appropriately. Dopaminomimetics exacerbate sleepiness in a small subset of patients in a dose-dependent fashion. Nonetheless, the primary pathologies involved in parkinsonism appear to be the greatest contributors to daytime sleepiness. Sleepiness in parkinsonism, especially a narcolepsy-like phenotype, may necessitate treatment with wake-promoting agents such as bupropion, modafinil, or traditional psychostimulants.

PMID: 16522272 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Dear Karine,
Thank you for all your research, I have had PD for over 10 years dxd,
I am 43 years old - and when I awake,sometimes its very hard to breath
and I have insta -panic!
I did not mean to put you to work, but I am very grateful for the great info!
in 2000
We made a film - called "In Search of A Champion" -
Congressman Evans and Greg Gerhardt and I gave a copy to then
President Clinton at the White House.
Congressman Evans of Illinois - a 22 veteran of the Congress of the US,
has had to retire, unfortunately - and Dr. Greg Gerhardt has been fighting for the GDNF serum to continue -w/ Amgen as controller.
I am just a PD patient/advocate for cures, waiting impatiently?
if you have the time my friend periwinkle has put it online:
it won many awards ~ take care!
link -
www.pwnkle.com/champion.htm

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote