View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think something that needs to be said, too, is: Steroids, and other meds., used while the shots are done, do not have the same effect on everyone. Not every person has the same response, felt effects, etc.

Also, many PM procedures can be done without steroids. Just ask.

Kimmi, there is risk of what you've written about, only, the risk is significantly lessened when a C-Arm or live-guided x-ray is used. If it's not, I'd never have any injection.

I'm sorry that where you had injections the risks were not pointed out to you; they were to me, and to many, many others whom have not encountered damage or punctures or slippages (whatever one wants to call it).

Anyone whom is not fully aware of risks should not sign a consent form. If something seems confusing or if-y or just is not clear: There should be no pressure to give the okay. Find out all one can before saying okay or forget this.

Injections: very few have had the type punctures that you are mentioning.

Many, such as myself, do suggest that patients never permit a doc to do a "hit-and-miss" with a needle, any needle. That's why use of fluroscope (C-Arm or whatever terminology one prefers for the exact same thing) is so crucial. It is plainly foolish to sign off on a "blind" approach and, actually, no excuse for it - for people seeing our messages.

People looking for info. about procedures can do searches and find plenty of info. from patients.

As long as one has internet access, a person is fully capable of also finding that many patients have warned against getting injections in the absence of fluroscope.

If the procedure just doesn't sound right, don't do it - at least until one is fully informed. It isn't right for all people. But patients are not leaving in droves paralyzed or "damaged."

Speak with your docs, talk with the doc's staff, ask other patients.

Doctors whom do procedures without the use of fluroscope are just barbaric. There is no reason for it.

Steroids do have side effects, as do some of the other medications used in procedures. Ask your doc what medications will be used and also ask about possible side effects and interactions with medications you are taking.

Accurate information is better than hysteria.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote