View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Hi SLS

Great you talked to Mike - he was a big help when I got my SSDI.

To all, as Rafi said - we have Short Term Disablity (SDI) in Calfiornia that just typically just takes one doc statement - and again "runs for short term" - used to be up to a year..... SSDI is a whole other animal (Social Security Disability) - and a real challenege to get - cause even if approved the day you are disabled there is a two year wait to qualify to Medicare benefits... which is essential for those of us who are sick.... (also, SSI is again different - it is additional income under Social Security program based on need and has many qualifiers)

SLS - while it sounds like your doc is trying to find cause - if he/she doesnt believe your symtoms - it also sounds like you need better MD support - do you have a GP that has known you up to this point that could at least help with SDI (State Disability) since you arent working due to illness?

On your inusrance - your company, as long as they have health insurance (thus still in business) - have to offer you the option to purchase your same insurance with their group plan for 18 months after termination (they can only charge what they pay for you plus 2% handling fee), its law - people sometimes panic when they find out how much it is... but if you do drop it and then try to buy your own insurance you will qualify only for high risk medical insurance because of your health and the cost is absolutely astronomical and plan choices dismal. (Calif also has a "supplemented" high risk health ins fund that may bring the premium coser to market on private expensive policies - BUT - when I tried to get on it while waiting for Medicare and my COBRA rights ran out - the waiting list was over a year long and I had to wait that long).....

Sending you the best...

Last edited by BEGLET; 08-17-2007 at 10:21 AM.
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote