View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

RA and other autoimmune related problems are more likely in the same person. One of the most frequent causes of B12 deficiency is an autoimmune attack on the body's own gastric (stomach) lining. In addition to that, the way we cope with changes in our bodies often cause us to walk and otherwise move in ways that increase the damage due to arthritis.

Also, there is a connection between bone health and B12 deficiency in some (those I've seen written about are males, but that doesn't mean it only occurs in males).

Clotting can definitely be affected by B12 deficiency.

Here is a copy of my answer to you on the B vitamins and heart palpitations thread. No one who may need B12 should have to wait weeks for it. It appears that you have run into the pervasive ignorance that prompted me to do this work:

Quote:
That is outrageous. For someone who considers B12 deficiency (and knows about MMA and Hcy) and knows you have serious symptoms to delay is especially shameful.

You don't "wait a couple of weeks" and test again. You do the MMA and Hcy immediately. If I were you, I would insist that the blood be drawn for those two tests no later than Monday, and on the way out of the lab I would start my oral B12 in doses of no less than 1000 mcg (I would take 5000 mcg methylcobalamin). And I would keep up the B12 for a very long time, since it is safe but deficiency is terribly damaging and those two tests do not catch a percentage of cases.

If I couldn't get that, I would start the methylcobalamin today.

It is shameful, but many hemotologists do not know anything about B12 developments within the last 35 years. And it is apparent that that one knows less than most. To not know that a large dose in a swallowed or dissolved tablet will help means the doc is over 30 years behind. To think that B12 deficiency can't make a person exhausted makes the doc hopeless, in my opinion.

rose

rose
rose

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote