View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwithT View Post
Right now I'm not sure. I had back surgery 14 weeks ago and will be off work for a minimum of 1 year. It is a job I love so right now, I guess I am on the outside looking in.

My surgery was a result of a work injury. Given my occupation, I really need to come up with a better story. I was taking out the garbage! I managed to herniate 3 discs. Do you know how foolish that makes me feel???
Yes I do. I am a landscape designer. About 4 years ago, I was just getting ready to start a huge commercial landscape job at an RV resort. I was out walking the two dogs. I had a cocker spaniel and a lab at the time (no cocker anymore ). It was early morning, and the place that I walked the dogs was up this little grassy knoll. As I was headed down the hill, I slipped (I do that!), and my left ankle went under and I heard this pop, pop. Oh, not good, I thought. I was about 50 feet from my RV. Dogs on leashes.

I tried to stand up...OUCH! Hmmm...not good. So, I hobbled...hop hop hop, hanging on to the trees, to the RV, threw to dogs inside and grabbed my truck keys, wallet and drove myself to the ER in this small town.

It's about 6:30 AM.

Yep, you guessed it. Broken ankle. And badly sprained, most likely torn ligaments. That was one pop.

I am by myself. DH is an airline pilot out on a trip. As usual. X-ray Tech is brutal with my ankle, has me in tears. It's Sunday. His day off. They can't set my ankle there, I have to go to Boise, 120 miles away. They've given me vicodin for the pain so 'officially' I can't drive

Since I am alone, they want to life flight me to Boise. NOT. Vicodin? I have MS, I take that stuff all the time. It doesn't do anything for me...yutz...

I convince the ER doc to release me in the care of another doc (whom he knows) to drive me home.

I spend the next 8 weeks in a blasted cast. Oh yeah.

Now, how am I gonna explain this? I've got a 55 acre job --- Rent a golf cart!

Got the job done. Won a huge award for the best landscaping of a new business for 3 counties!

So, yep BwithT, I understand! Long, hot summer with that stupid cast (and I have MS and of course, can't do steroids with a broken bone...)

Not even a job related injury! Dumb dumb dumb! The golf cart was fun tho! I kept it all summer, eventually bought it and terrorized the resort for 2 years!

I hope you get better soon! Find some fun things to do!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford