Thread: transitioning
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Kamie

Kamie

My concern is that Zoe will be in a class with children who have cognative issues and that she would be bored in that class. I want her to be mentally challenged.

When school starts, I want her in a typical classroom because I strongly feel that is where she needs to be. My aunt has a daycare that the kids visit (with me) every week for a couple of hours. Zoe fits right in and plays with the other kids. Infact, Miss Zoe is actually a bit of a ring leader and gets the other kids to play with her. She has a few friends already and even a little boyfriend who follows her around hugging her. It is rather cute. The last thing I want to see happen is for her to lose the ability to interact with her typical peers and to lose her coginitive skills because she is in a program that is not challenging her.

I am going to bring this concern up with all transition meetings. I am also going to talk to my mother in law and have her possibly sit in on her IEP meetings when those start. My MIL is a special education teacher by the way. She is a good advocate to have since she knows all the ropes.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote