Thread: transitioning
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 08:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is nearly the situation Becca was in at Zoe's age - advanced in every way except motor skill and a bit socially.

The Early Intervention I felt actually pushed me to go right into preschool for 2 years for Becca. At the last minute, I cancelled the preschool screening despite all the paperwork they did for it. My gut told me it was not the right thing for Becca. Early intervention was not thrilled, but they got over it. I really liked them tons and did not want to offend, but had to follow my gut. Plus I am a licensed teacher (staying at home now).

I opted to home school until age 4 and then continued with clinical (taking her to peds therapy) OT and PT out in town for an hour each - each week. I also got her in baby ballet and gymnastics, story times, etc. . . for social interaction with peers and instruction from an adult other than myself or friends. It worked VERY well. She reads fluently and knows more than any other preschooler did, and the same now in Kindergarten standss true.

She went to pre-school at 4, and her IEP had some social, OT, PT, and expressive speech goals only. She was in an inclusion classroom with about half with IEPs and the other half mainstream. It was wonderful because all her services were in the classroom setting - very little pull-out (only for eval time, etc).

Now she is reg. Kindergarten with very similar IEP goals and an inclusion calssroom with only 3 IEP kiddos - one autistic. The aide helps Becca with motor tasks when needed, and PT is during PE class. We took a break from clinical OT/PT last year as she was getting burnt out. . . but will start clinical OT again next month in addition to the school OT/PT to carry through her cast/restraint therapy from the camp last summer. School will not address this - their therapy is educationally based and I use this as grounds for referrals to a clinical setting when I see fit. Never been a problem, really.

Hope that helps. You have time to plan and seek options. There is no reason she needs to sit through 2 years of preschool if she does not need to, and you think she would benefit (and you too) from being at home longer. You just get the services yourself.

Hugs,
Kathleen
kathleenandjoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote