View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
I find Parkinson's quite socially humiliating - are you dyskinetic? Do you get dystonia? Does your bladder leak?

How did i treat others with conditions? i taught them for ten years. Physically Impaired - in Florida.
I too am with Paula on this. I know Paula personally. I have visited in her home many times, and for multiple days. I have shared a hotel room with her. I know how her PD manifests itself, and since I don't live in her body, I can only imagine how she feels. I am blessed I don't have dystonia or terrible rigidity, I am fortunate to only be tremor dominate, with gait issues.

Paula is a person who is out there in the forefront in the advocacy community, so self confidence is not a short coming for her. She doesn't hesitate to get behind a microphone when needed...may not like it a lot, but she does it.

And, yes, she was a special ed teacher for those ten years she speaks of.

And, if you ever want to know anything about clinical trials or research, she is one of the ones to ask.

In all my PD years, I can say that there have only been a couple of times when I was selfconsious in public and that had to do with feeling as though I looked drunk, and feared someone calling the cops on me...typically I was sick with the flu of something that caused my symptoms to be especially bad that day.

Okay, okay, I have run on too much AGAIN,
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote