View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When B12 deficiency exists, unless something that can be remedied (such as an overgrowth of bacteria, parasites, etc.) was found to have caused it, and that cause is removed, it is assumed that B12 deficiency will occur again due to malabsorption.

The MMA and Hcy tests were done yesterday and you have results already? I'm confused. If no B12 has been taken, usually one of those is elevated when deficiency exists, but not always. And those two tests do not determine whether or not PA exists.

Even if the parietal cell test had been done along with the one for IF antibodies, and if both had come back normal, lessening production of IF (which can eventually disappear----true pernicious anemia) would not have been ruled out.

Usually doctors don't bother to look for a cause. That is too bad, because if the cause is not gastric atrophy and/or loss of intrinsic factor, it may be important to know.

Bottom line: never take your B12 stores for granted. Always keep them up. Oral doses of at least 1000 mcg should do it. It is extremely rare for shots to be necessary.

I'm tired, so let me know if this is not clear or did not answer completely.

rose

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote