View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Bruce,

I have had my pump for many years now , initially it was inserted for RSD in my lower limbs so the catheter into the intrathecal space was inserted into my lumber spine. Since spread I have had a further catheter inserted into my thoracic spine to accommodate the pain in my upper body. There is just one pump in my abdomen with a two catheter. I have the pump refilled approximately 5 weekly and am on Morphine 10mgs/24hrs. It does not sound like a high dose as compared to what some people may take orally or IM but that is the beauty of the pump, you can actually reduce your opiate intake without losing out on pain relief.
I believe if not for my pump I would not be here, sounds melodramatic but it is a fact so I would definitely recommend a trial if it is suggested to anyone.
My pump and extra catheter were inserted by a neurosurgeon and my pain physician after a trial over 5 days in which they trialled several several mixtures PLUS an placebo dose of saline on one occasion.
If you can not pick which is the saline then you do NOT get the pump.
For me it was with no shadow of a doubt which one was my placebo--it just didn't work on my pain but one other chap who was having a trial at the same time failed by saying that he got pain relief from the saline. It is too big an operation and too much commitment is needed to have an intrathecal in that is not doing the job or that is not needed.
Please feel free to ask any other questions regarding the operation, I am here to help if I can
regards Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote