View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default OK so the 'Pit' isn't functioning as it ...

should....How pray tell, is that soo far different from a thyroid? The meds may be a 'bit' different' but, malfunction IS just that: Malfunction.
Whether thru illnesses or disease or whatever we've done in the past, the best way to approach this all is WHAT CAN BE DONE THAT IS THE SIMPLEST with the LEAST S/E's?
Starting out slow, low meds and all that, should be the best and most comprehensive approach. Now I guess Its up to you to find out what all options there are and not panic?
The Majority of pituitary issues aren't cancer. While it doesn't hurt to check out that possibility thru biopsies and blood tests and other 'specialty tests' - [IF your doc and plan allows it!] I have to admit that having another cancer, well the whole concept of thyroid/pituitary and other 'glands' kind of makes me...well, spooky? You just have to 'go' with the tests. Hindsight in my case is that 'some' specialty testing could have detected thyroid and cancer issues earlier....BUT -BUT and I emphasize this...there simply was no reason to DO SO [at that time]! Don't forget, that even in the best and most 'progressive' of insurance plans...docs have to 'JUSTIFY' any testing that's done. It is a nasty evil cycle and one in which scoping out all potential issues outside of 'immediate symptoms' is hard to do.
IN the most BASIC sense, a malfunctioning endocrine 'organ' does not mean cancer. Usually it does not-but the 'ripple' effect on all other endocrine functions and thus lots of the rest of one's functions suffer. To what degree, is the question. If it were me [and I am NO doc, just a big time patient! - I would ask for a serious 'sit-down' with docs and ask OK WHAT NEXT? and what do WE do about it? {YES? We really LOOVE herding cats?-NOT!}
NOW is not the time to ask why it all happened....Key to this all is WHAT TO DO ABOUT YOU NOW.

We can't go back, we have to 'make do' with the NOW and do the best we can with meds and any other resources available that are prudent and safe.
If I could go back and change what was and wasn't done to me during my onset...well. things could be a lot different! But, then YOU wouldn't know what I try to share! - I surely hope this all helps - It's frustrating to the degree of outer space at times - it's so surreal. That is the medical world.
Hang in there, every step of progress is just that: PROGRESS! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote