View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizi View Post
Currently the most commonly used treatment for major depression is antidepressant medication. These medications are relatively cheap, and easy for family practitioners (who treat the majority of depressed people) to prescribe.
I suffer from anxiety disorder, panic attack disorder, major depression & a degree of schizophrenia. I have been a sufferer for 35 years. Current medications are Purata 45mg pd; Purbloka (generic of Inderal) 120mg pd; Cipralex 10mg pd; Risperdal ½mg pd; Remeron 30mg pd & Dormicum 15mg pd. Previously prescribed medications have been Effexor 150mg pd; Cymbalta 30mg pd; Topamax 50mg pd; Normison 20mg pd.
1. The 1st point I wish to make is that it is incorrect to say that these medications are “relatively cheap”. That is wrong. These medications are anything but “relatively cheap”. They are highly expensive. They cost me in the order of close on South African Rand 2,000 per month = US $273 per month. I do NOT consider that cheap.
2. The 2nd point I wish to make is about your statement “These medications are ... easy for family practitioners … to prescribe”. I do NOT feel sufferers of mental illness should be seeing their family practionioner for prescriptions. They should get a proper professional diagnosis prom a professional psychiatrist & they should be getting their medications prescribed by a psychiatrist, who is far more knowledgeable about mental illness than the every day family practionioner.