View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Donna,

I don't know what is causing your bleeding but it sounds like it would be good to see your primary doctor ASAP.

Do you have all of your prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy? The reason I ask this is that I did have a problem with abnormal, heavy, mid-cycle bleeding and it turned out to be due to a combination of 2 meds where the new med was a sample that my GP had given me to try. My prescriptions are all together at one pharmacy BUT the sample had not been prescribed by my doctor so it wasn't in my computer file at the pharmacy. I live in Canada so I don't know if pharmacies are like this everywhere but when a new prescription is entered online for my file, it is automatically checked with all other prescribed meds for any possible interactions. When I asked a pharmacist about my problem bleeding AND I also then had a prescription for the sample drug I had been trying, I was told that the computer had flagged a warning when the new drug was entered and that abnormal bleeding was a possible side-effect when the new drug was taken with some other drug I was already taking. I immediately saw my GP who sincerely apologized for not checking the meds I was already taking before giving me the sample of a new drug to try. As soon as I stopped taking one of the drugs, I was fine.

So it was a reminder to me to always have my prescriptions filled by the same pharmacy AND for my doctor to always check what drugs a patient is already taking before suggesting something new. (He usually looks up new drugs during my appointment and tells me about them before prescribing anything.)

I have also heard from women who have experienced very heavy bleeding during menopause but I like the stories better where menstruation just slowing goes away ....

I hope you can get things sorted out very soon.