View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default okay rant here..and am I totally off base here??

Okay as many of you guys know Austin, my little boy, was admitted last week for level 1 testing at our local children hospital in their EMU ward and he was there for 5 days. While we were there we got to go the playroom they had there for the EMU kids, one of the play coordinators was there she apologized as to how few toys there were there in the playroom, she said we are kinda like the stepkids of the hospital we get all the left over toys...I was sad for the kids because there very few toys there and not much to play with. So when I got home I got to work I emailed everyone I knew and asked for donations for the playroom and most people were so excited to donate.....but here is one responce I got, I dont know this person...but am I letting you know this letter had me fuming, maybe it is just me cause Im so sleep derprived and still catching up on my sleep..let me know if Im way off base....

Kim,
I haven't met you (I don't think) but my background is in Psychology and Education. I am wondering if the children all played so well because of the lack of toy selection. Children, under mental and/or physical (due to illness) stress, have a tendency to do better with less. Their mind is already on overload as they are trying to deal with their illness and accepting that they are different from others. Your witness to the harmony between them is proof that they are coping by helping each other and not having to decide which toy they should play with next. I think the toy drive is a great idea and one that I will joyfully participate in. It sounds like they could use an update in their toy selection. However, I wanted to let you know that sometimes less is not necessarily a pitfall under certain circumstances. Thanks so much for sharing your compassionate idea with others.
In His care, /Patty
"...and I shall continue being happy because I know this will help to save me." Philippians 1:19

okay huh!!!!!

thanks to all of you who made it through this whole letter

Kimberley
kenausril is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote