View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In response to the question, my sister and I have neuropathy as the result of diabetes. The only thing we can figure out, is that while our entire family has diabetes, only three of us (to incl an older brother) have neuropathy. Believe it or not, we are also the only three who SMOKE??? Any thoughts on this?

Strangely enough, it was sudden onset for both she and I and occurred less than a year ago. Prior to that I was a non-stop, professional, go-getter...sometimes never even sitting down before 10 or 11 at night. Work clean cook run errands, that was me! Now I'm lucky to make it thru my work day.

I am forced to ride the motorized carts/chairs when shopping. Get strange looks like what could I possibly be thinking (they probably think Im just lazy)...but I do not care. I even have family that asks if I am embarrassed to be riding "those things" and don't I have to be "handicapped" to use them?

I know people get tired of hearing about my pain and I really try to limit who I talk to about it...but on the other hand its depressing to act as if all is ok when I really want to be screaming I hurt so bad. Also choose not to let anyone at work know, and that makes it extremely difficult. I can NEVER miss work as I am a paralegal in a small firm and my presence is required every day.

I am almost ready to throw in the towel, let my home go as well as all other financial responsibility, and apply for SS disability. I just refuse, however, to let this kill me at 43 YEARS OLD.

On a humorous note, can you imagine meeting a new man and saying to him, hold on, I have to rub 20 creams on, I sleep with a special blankie that doesnt irritate my skin....i have a special foot pillow that helps to relieve pain, the ceiling fan cant be on because the circulating air kills me, you cant run the ac in the car even if you are collapsing from the Texas heat because it makes me cold which makes the pain excruciating! I foresee a single life but can deal with it!
belinda1317 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote