View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda1317 View Post
The neuropathy is so very painful, yet there are so few who even believe the pain is real, much less understand the extent of it! Both my sister and I have severe neuropathy. I am only 43 years old and feel completely debilitated most days. She is 46 and is also in horrible shape. Members of our own family try to convince us it must be in our head...the pain can't be that bad...surely there is something you can do to make it go away...surely it can't occur all the time, etc.

I can say this here. There are days I do not want to live anymore. I am never going to do anything to harm myself...but I am so depressed that this is what my life has become, a never ending cycle of pain. I work full time and actual pain meds are not an option for me. My sister takes as many as she can get but in truth, she is still in such significant pain.

How do you guys get people to understand this is NOT in your head?
I've never had to convince anyone of the pain. Thankfully. But it's like depression: People want you to just snap out of it and it's far from that simple.

I'm curious to know what makes them think it's all simply in your head? Is it that thinking that way they don't have to deal with the realities of your pain? They're in denial. We certainly are not. Have you ever just asked them, "What makes you think this pain isn't real? That it's just in my head?" I'd be most curious to hear what they have to say.

My family has been wonderful about this. Of course I've always been medically minded. Nursing school and just a general interest and knowledge of medicine in general. So maybe that's why they took it in stride the way they have.

Barbara