View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 02:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile question about TOS & further damage

Hello,

Since I was diagnosed with TOS over 2 years ago, I have continued to come to this site to read others' posts and have not only obtained valuable info, but also found comfort in relating to others experiencing the same issues I have experienced for so long. In August of 2005, I had surgery (transaxillary right rib removal), and have not experienced much improvement in symptoms. The pain is ever present, however, the degree of pain is defintely cyclical. After searching for answers repeatedly, I have realized that at this point it is about adapting my lifestyle as well as my career to fit my situation. There is one question I have though that I am hoping maybe someone might be able to either provide me with some insight to or direct me to where I might be able to find an answer. I am a pharmacist and I work with my hands continuously. I am moving into a more administrative role in my career, partially because I want to and partially because my physical state mandates it. All of the physicians I have spoken to have repeatedly told me to find another career, as if that is a simple thing. They also say, however, that although the pain is increased with the continued activity that I am not causing further damage to my body. My question is whether or not continuing to remain active with your hands, shoulder, arm etc.. can cause further damage as it seems that the more time goes on the more I begin to experience different symptoms as well as more severe pain. It does not seem as though simply taking breaks from my activity helps anymore as it used to in the past when I would experience these exacerbations. Does anyone know if I am doing more damage to myself by continuing to work with my hands in the same manner as I used to? Thanks to everyone who does share their experiences in this forum. I'm sure it helps even more people than you know.
phoenix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote