Thread: CYA folks!
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

<<<.. my private disability review is going NOT WELL - fueled by a very grumpy doctor yesterday who decided he would end his bad day by making mine one... it worked..... his comments will get me immediately cancelled unless he amends them - and since they arent even true - he should >>>

Kmeb, I wouldn't say that your private disability review is not going well. You had one doctor's appt that did not go well. You have other doctors, and results of tests, which show you are disabled. One doctor does not a decision make. I do not think UNUM is going to cancel you. They gave the doctor 30 days to write a report; he didn't have to be pressured into doing it yesterday, when he was irritable and tired. He could do it next week, or the week after, when you and he have reconnected in a less volatile atmosphere.

Remember, you are not getting all that much from them each year. And you have no cost of living rider, and they will never have to pay you more. What they have to pay you over the next 15 - 20 years, when you are 65, given the devaluing of the dollar, is not going to be that big a liability that they will choose YOU to go after. YOU, who have contacted advocacy boards, have the State Insurance Board breathing down their neck. No, you are not the person they will go after. It will cost as much to fight you as to pay you. Or more.

So, my advice: take a few deep breaths. Try to reconnect with the guy in a calmer moment, when you are not dealing with dental issues and a new gastro and all. THEN ask him if he'll fill out the form. If he's already given you one, you can give him a new one.

All is not lost, and your disability "review" has not even begun. It only begins AFTER UNUM receives your updated test results and doctor's reports, and their own doctor sees you and you have a home visit, I believe.

- but actually making it happen is another thing.... if I cant get this resolved - I fear I will be out on the corner with my cat tied to my wheelchair and a cooler of Ensure..... in a very short period of time here......

So yea - I'm very stressed - and worried - and tired - but trying to pull it together for tomorrow whe I see my GP and ask if he can intervene on my behalf.... I also found an advocay group if he cant facilitate any action that may help.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst

Last edited by Curious; 08-27-2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Edited for member privacy
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote