View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A timely thread, i must say! This is one of the reasons I havent been around much. The last 2 months I have had at least 2 migraines a week ugh. The worst is sometimes they last 4 or 5 days. Most of these latest ones have lasted 2 to 3 days. A dark room with absolutely not a sound, dark wet cloth over my eyes, gravol to try to stop vomiting. I have never found a medication to take that helps much. When ive suffered the 4th or 5th day I give in and go to the ER and they put me on iv maxeran (not sure the spelling) and that usually takes it down so i still feel the core of the headache in the centre of my head. If they give me a toradol shot before i go home , this usually takes away the core within a few hours. I know, i know, why suffer for 4 or 5 days instead of going to Er??? Dr, always asks that, well i usually have to sit in a room full of sick people, crying babies, doors closing etc.... for 3 to 4 hours before I finally see the dr. So when a migraine is in full swing the last possible thing i can think of is going to sit through that. On the subject of botox, I kind of put 2 and 2 together last week , in november my pain doc. did a full head and shoulder migraine protocol of botox injections. She managed to scrounge enough to give me a free trial. (If I want it again I have to pay $450. so that rules that out completely ugh) She did that area for the headaches but also hoped it would alleveiate some neck and shoulder pain. Well I didnt think I got any good form them. My pain seemed to stay the same and I was still getting some headaches , but not many migraines, now that io think about it. So for the past 2 months I have been having alot of migraines again. August has been terrible for them, the barometer has been terrible too. We havent had 4 days without a major rain/thunder storm. That kind of weather as many of you know is about the worst it canget. It flares up eevery health problem i have. So.....back to the botox......hubby happened to mention it last week, I had forgotten all about it. I think the botox did help the migraines because all of a sudden Im having them alot and i went through many months with very few. I guess you dont realize something is gone until it comes back. So for anyone who has health insurance and if they will cover it, I would suggest trying the botox. One major advantage with botox is it doesn't get severely painful like cortisone injections.
I did not have childhood migraines, in fact I dont remember having them until I was around 30. I do get warning signs (if i pay attention to them). Usually sound starts really bothering me, or my vision goes funny in my left eye, or i very suddenly feel sick to my stomach. Sometimes if i notice the signs, if i take advil and a muscle relaxer and go lay down in a dark quiet room I can ward them off. Lately nothing has worked. Hope this helps!
cindyj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote