Thread: transitioning
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Your EI coordinator should be able to give you a list of placements that will be available when Zoe turns 3. There shoud be a continuum of placements, from complete inclusion in a typical class to all special needs classes. Most states contract with private daycares and some private preschools for IEP kids. If you choose one of those, Zoe would be in a typical daycare or preschool setting with the therapists coming there to work with her. Easter Seals and other organizations also often contract with the state for these slots. At least here, it was difficult to get info on the private contract placements. The school system is most interested in placing kids in their classes- it's cheaper and easier for them. So we had to work to get the info.

The assessment will show her levels and needs, and the IEP team (which includes you) will determine placement at the IEP meeting. Obviously, you can decline services. However, other than paying privately, you will not be able to get services outside of those decided upon in the IEP.

That said, I would visit every possible placement and compile notes. Decide if any of them would be a proper placement for Zoe. And then advocate for that placement at the IEP meeting.

In Langan's case, she is very delayed in all areas. But I really wanted her with typical peers. The school system folks wanted her in an all special needs class. I did my homework and went to the IEP meeting prepared. I knew exactly where I wanted Langan, and we won. She is in a private preschool in a class of typical peers with 2 other SN kids in the class. The school is amazing. Langan is, by far, the most delayed kid in the class, but she benefits so much from these other kids. We have actually kept her in the same class this year, so she is with 3 year olds even though she is 4, but she has her same teachers and thrives there. Many of the 3 year olds are writing their names and reading short words. The teacher is amazing at getting each kid to reach their potential. I truly believe Langan is much better off at this school than at home with me or in an all SN class. She may have to head that direction during the school years, but these early years are so critical.

That's my two cents. There is tons of info on www.wrightslaw.com as well.

Good luck!

Wendy
Wendy, mom to Langan, the love of my life, born 7/19/02. Global delays, intractable seizures, mystery girl. VNS implanted 2/10/06, now on small dose of lamictal and fighting for seizure control, and wife to Jon, the other love of my life!!
langansmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote