View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dear Kimmi:

When I worked there were a number of strategies I used to "live with" the pain.

Take frequent breaks....get up and walk around - stretch out those legs, make sure you straighten your back when doing this and remember to breath (deep)

I would go to one of our empty conference rooms during lunchtime and lie down on the floor and prop my legs up on a chair.....use visualization and breathing exercises to get centered and relax. Oh and I had the lights off. If the office got too noisy, I would turn on the ipod.

Have an ergonomic chair

My doc wrote a perscription for a half sitting half standing workstation (that really did help a lot, especially with getting up)

Do not avoid the stairs....we were in a 3 story building - I still made myself walk them everyday at least once - slowly with the cane - but I did them.

If you cannot get out and walk around - there are exercises you can do in your chair - just answering the phone......by breathing and pulling in your stomach and straightening up your back

Have a back support - and one the bad days have a pillow support for your chair.

For the really bad days I kept a ice pack in the office freezer.

Drink plenty of water - my favorite time of the day was when I would make a herbal tea.....try tazo passion (my favorite)

On the bad days I did use some of the "potion" I make - a tea (I used externally) made out of Willow bark and leaves, Birch leaves, Cedar and Spruce tips - mixed with jojoba oil.....I simply massaged that in my lower back area....or there is also a numbing rub called "Emla Creme".

I wish you the best.....

laugh a lot - I used to have rubberband fights with my co-workers, had a candy dish at my desk so people would come by and visit....

Take care

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote