View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 09:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

((((((Wendy)))))),

Did I ever tell you about the time I deleted five years worth of long-range plans from the main-frame computer

None of us is perfect (even though we like to think we are)

You learn from your mistakes and you move on. Women tend to have great difficulty doing that (all those non-helpful, not-true words run through our heads: 'stupid', 'incompetent', 'idiot'). You did something wrong. Fix it. And move on.

You might want to have a little (short -- very brief) talk with yourself and see why this has happened again. Are you working without enough information?? Were you not given as much training as you needed??

Most of us who take new jobs are thrown into the ocean and told to swim -- while we're still saying to ourselves "ocean?? what's that??"

Give yourself a hug. Slow down a bit. If you're not sure about a decision, you can always say "I need to check one more fact, let me call you back:.

You might also arrange with the boss to have a phone call every morning and every afternoon for another week or so until you're more sure of what you're doing. Or even arrange with the boss to AIM a couple of times a day. Just to touch base and have him/her available for any questions.

I worked on a contract once for the IT Director of a hospital. Very busy man. He had a signal -- text message "911" to him when we really needed him. It was good to know that we had that available because sometimes you really CANNOT handle everything.

Give yourself a HUG. Buy yourself some flowers. And accept that you're still learning and growing.

BIG HUGS.

Barb