Thread: Flying with RSD
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi

Hi Ali,
I just recently took a long flight. It was a 3 hour flight a lay over and then another 3 1/2 hour. Actually for me the take off and landings weren't bad. If you have a good pilot those are generally smooth. The problems I had was the small areas that you sit in now. There is practically no leg or arm room and when the person in front of you leans back there practically in your lap. If you can get a seat located right behind the first class section I believe that is the wall that divides the two that is the best place to be. You’re in the very front and no one can lean back into you. My suggestion is that you arrange wheel chair at your departure point and destination, pre board and have them reserve her seat next to a window and then you can sit next to her that way you can help guard her from people bumping and pushing into her. My husband sat next to me and I sat next to the window and it made me so much more comfortable. I also brought on my favorite pillow to place under my arm as that is where I have my RSD. The flight attendants are very helpful with extra pillows and blankets. Have her take her pain meds prior to the flight and always carry those on with you. Also if she has any Lidoderm patches maybe she can apply those to help with the sensativity.
I was quite sore after the flight. I think it was because I was so cramped in the plane and it is very difficult to get up and walk around. Best of Luck and if I can help with anything else let me know...
Many hugs to you and your daughter...
Dawn