Thread: Ginseng
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default and thanks again

(I hope my little grousing will be forgiven)

I originally began the trial expecting no symptomatic relief whatsoever. The research that has been done made a good case for ginseng as a possible GDNF generator and I was hoping to do an end run on Amgen. Figured it would be at least six months before I had a clue.

So you can see why I was startled at the effect. As to what is actually going on, and this is strictly a guess, I suspect that it is working on the receptors and making them more sensitive and thus increasing the punch of a given dose. The pattern that seems to work best for me is to start the day with most of the day's meds taken by lunch along with 500 mg of ginseng about 8:00 AM/ Then nothing until another ginseng at 4:00 PM. About half the time I will have half a sinemet CR after supper but often nothing until the next morning. That's 18 hours without meds!!! I was on a two hour schedule before this and not doing well on that!

So, I would think that if dopamine levels were being increased the pattern would be different. But if the receptors were making a given amount go further that it would be more like I am seeing.

One other point touched on in the next message is the matter of dyskinesias. That is the only problem that I have encountered and I have been able to control them by manipulating the sinemet spacing and by breaking tablets. This, too, makes more sense if the receptors are being resensitized.

All I know for sure is that without it I can barely walk at times and with it I am nearly normal.

As to when to use it, if I had known what I know now I would have started it with the first tremor. The research indicates a strong protective action for it and I might never have needed anything else.

Remember that because this is one of the more expensive supplements that quality is a problem. Stick to trusted brands and don't give up without trying three or four different ones.
-Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCountryDancer View Post
Thank you for your work on this.I have a couple of questions on which I would just like your thoughts.Do you think the gingseng just helps symptomatic relief or do you think it might have a long term benefit? Does it appear to work on the drugs to make them more effective and long lasting or on the disease itself? If just on Requip with few symptoms except tremor do you feel it worth taking or better to keep for later.?
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote