View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Fern,

Yes, I'm hoping that by additional tests and/or a second opinion, I can ultimately make a decision either way regarding having the surgery. I had a phone consultation with Dr. Sanders in Colorado and it most likely scheduling and in person consultation with him for the end of September. I tried contacting the vascular Institute earlier last week, however they haven't called me back. I know they require a doctor's referral for an out-of-state consultation, and I have my GP in the wings waiting to give that referral. Or at least I hope she's waiting in the wings, as she seems to be one of those doctors that believes TOS is so rare that it can't possibly be my real diagnoses. I'm hoping that she would like additional confirmation, as well.

Also, I looked out my ultrasound results and checked out the high numbers you had mentioned. I have peak systolic velocities for both arteries and veins in both arms, though I'm not sure I posted them all in that other link. Probably should check that first before writing this, but regardless, I'm really interested in hearing what your results are for the ultrasound once you get them back. My venous in the upper right extremity went from the values of 76 in my lap, then to 74, 33, 172, 63, and 80 (@180 degrees) as my arm went up in the air. My left side, on the other hand, stayed in the lower digits with 71 in my lap, then 24, 27, 39, and 0 at 180 degrees. But of course, we have no reference for what's normal, so it's hard to say. I did find one paper on the Internet that showed normal velocity for arteries as being between 60 and 100 cm/sec, but I don't know how that would translate to venous return.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that a scalene block might give me a hint as to if my scalenes are the problem or not. Wow, only 15 minutes of relief, that is very brief! Did Sanders also do an EMG of the Medial antebrachial cutaneous nerve? I heard he does that as well. I'll be asking his secretary regarding it when I speak with her on Friday to set up the appointment.

Sorry if I'm rambling, folks, I've had the flu all weekend and am still feverish.

Melissa
MelissaLH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote