View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

FABULOUS!!

That is the most awesome compilation of lectin information I've ever seen! (And I've seen quite a lot.) - and I've only read the 3 sections based around food and allergy/infection.

Very, very interesting
Quote:
It also interesting to ponder the observation of several investigators who have noticed that many cases of food intolerance develop after influenza.
It will be very good to keep my eye out for other things that either agree or disagree with that article.

Thank you, thank you... This will probably keep my tea times interesting for the next week!

Here's a definition that helps in reading the 'Microbes' section:

http://www.answers.com/topic/agglutination
ag·glu·ti·na·tion (ə-glūt'n-ā'shən) pronunciation
n.

1. The act or process of agglutinating; adhesion of distinct parts.
2. A clumped mass of material formed by agglutination. Also called agglutinate.
3. Physiology. The clumping together of red blood cells or bacteria, usually in response to a particular antibody.
4. Adhesion of wound surfaces in healing.

The noun agglutinating activity has one meaning:

Meaning #1: the coalescing of small particles that are suspended in solution; these larger masses are then (usually) precipitated
Synonym: agglutination

From the article:
Quote:
Several lectins have been shown to possess agglutination properties against bacterial strains. Staphylococcus aureas and mutans has been extensively studied, These have been shown to be agglutinated by several commonly available lectins- including tomato, cantaloupe and wheat. The author has employed tomato lectin in clinical practice by way of topical applications of raw tomatoes to the eyes in staphylococcal conjunctivitis with very satisfactory results.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 09-26-2006 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added definition
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote