View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I've had a number of liver biopsies. I usually work myself into a total and absolute state of panic prior to them, then they're over in a flash and I wondered why I worried so much. I always carry my trusty little brown paper bag with me in case of a full blown panic attack. LOL. True story. My Gastro doesn't mind. He thinks it's quite hilarious actually. All that expensive medical equipment and here I am holding a brown paper bag to regulate my own breathing.

You will barely feel the local anaesthetic. It's just like a tiny little prick and frankly I wouldn't have a liver biopsy without one. They need to make a tiny, tiny little incision to allow the biopsy to be taken. It's so small!

Once that local anaesthetic works, you'll just feel pressure. It's sort of a scary feeling I suppose, but that's just because the feeling of pressure is different from pain, but there are worse things believe me. That's when they're taking the actual biopsy. It's not pain, it's just pressure. After that you'll just need to lie still for a number of hours and get checked and then you can go home. Voila!

You need to ask your Gastroenterologist or whoever is doing the biopsy about taking someone with you into the surgical area. Usually there's just a nurse and the doctor, so you never know, they could allow it under certain circumstances. Honestly and truly, the worst part about having the biopsy is thinking about it before hand and then waiting for results. The procedure itself is fairly simple and very fast.

All the best to you.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote