View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 05:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have ear problems that my ENT said were likely autoimmune related, but I didn't know there was actually a condition called autoimmune inner ear disease. My B12 levels are fine despite having celiac disease (I did supplementation for awhile though). But I have other autoimmune ailments that could be contributing.

I have not done hearing aids as they are quite expensive and my insurance won't cover them. I have not found anything that will help with the tinnitus, but I have grown accustomed to it despite it being quite loud. I tried a few medications (Valium and Meclazine, I think?) for the vertigo, and they helped some, but I didn't want to stay on them long term, so I tried something else.

What worked much better for my vertigo was vestibular rehabilitation. It's basically physical therapy to retrain your brain and body to work together when you're dizzy. I went from nearly falling down everytime I stood up to being able to stand on an uneven surface on one foot with my eyes closed.

I still get vertigo episodes, but I am able to cope with them. I've learned where to focus my attention to keep its effects to a minimum. I bump into things once in awhile, especially in the dark, but I no longer get the nausea and swimming head sensations.

Looking forward to finding out the results of your tests. Would also like to know if anyone else AIED.

fanfaire