View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi

Hi Megan,

First, good on your GP for hospitalizing you for suspected Guillain Barre. That was very good thinking, so I like this guy immediately. Sounds like he takes ownership and recognizes a sick patient when he sees one.

Megan, you sound really ill, and I wouldn't want to hazard a guess until the neuro has really had his shot at you. You will probably need studies besides the EMGs, because they might not be abnormal YET, although they sound as if they could be, given the symptoms. You are clearly having something suddenly happen, and my guess is it's an inflammatory neuropathy, and that your neuro will want to order lots of blood tests (see the lizajane.org list of nerve antibodies). He might also want to do a spinal tap to look for abnormal protein.

Guillain Barre comes in many forms these days, and I believe that it is now subsumed under the heading of CIDP, inflammatory neuropathy. Let's just wait and see what the tests show.

Your GP might have put you into good hands. Who knows?

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst

Last edited by LizaJane; 08-28-2007 at 06:43 PM.
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote