View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Megan, you've gotten LOTS

of very good advice. We all have come here with our nerve pains thru very different routes, but we are here to help and share with folks such as you.

That your docs have caught on to your real pain and are testing as thoroughly as they are NOW is soo important. All the referring to and fro is common at the start, but they have to test and get what they call their 'baselines'.

While some here have had unpleasant reactions during nerve conduction studies, I was soo far gone when I was properly tested that I could not even tell it was done! [First test -a questionable one, showing little 'loss' was done about 3 months after hospitalization, another 7 months later and a third a year after that.] Especially muscle reactions, due to muscle tone and strength werre normal for the first year. Things went down hill after that. BUT, it was that series of nerve tests and the spinal tap analysis that got me on an IVIG regimen that is 2 days monthly. Roxie and Melody can fill you in from their perspectives, but I am an advocate for the IVIG vs steroid treatments as it's got fewer long term affects. I can walk, drive and function, tho I hurt, and am grateful for every day I have.

I encourage you to read as many posts as you can in this forum! From the 'stickies' on back...as I believe that you might find a lot of answers to your questions and frustrations in those posts. Know truly that you are not alone!

Roxie, I'm so very glad you are feeling some good from it all now! That is a very super thing! You also put a good question out there about the different neuropathies...i urge you to look up the 'Poncelet' reference Glenntaj cited it's the 'aafp' one, I believe - about the 'fibers' affected.

Megan, as you can see, we all are looking for the 'secret decoder book' about doctors, testing and diagnosing issues. Hang in there, KNOWING as much as you can learn about what all is happpening to your body can help you understand with the dealing of what is going on. As for causes? Sometimes it's simple, unfortunately, most of the time it is not. This is not a 'thing' that a PILL can make go away? So, Since I am one of many here, and I don't think I'm being presumptious here - 's are needed directly for and to you!
Pain free moments, even a couple? - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote