Thread: Flying with RSD
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hiya

Hope you are all ok

I flew to and from Geneva and have done some long haul flights since RSD. I have found that people have always been very helpful. I do find that my pain does get worse because of the change of altitude and the air conditioning. I always wear long sleeves and long trousers because of the AC and eat lots of sweets on landing and take off. I tend to fly business class because of the extra room and because I am the pillow queen - I have to sit on my pressure cushion and then my arms and back are supported with pillows as are my feet - they let me take mine on as medical luggage. I would suggest going next to the window.

HOWEVER.. I don't know if Ali needs any manual handling. If she does it is far more sensible for you to help her than to get the airport to. I cannot transfer and have to be hoisted or lifted and they subluxed my shoulder lifting me onto the seat as one person took my knees, the other took my shoulders and they just threw me to the window so I would really advise NOT letting them manual handle you if you can help it. (We had to because though my carer can lift me there wasn't room for her to manouvre me along to the window and I can't be dragged across the seats because of skin breakdown).

I don't know if you will be taking a wheelchair with you, but if so I have found they are really good about it.
Oh make sure that Ali goes to the bathroom before you go on the plane because it is really difficult to get into the airplane ones.

Swelling. You can use tubigrip/ elevation (once the seatbelt signs are up Ali can elevate her leg) and of course things like moving the leg (if she can) to keep blood flow going is all good.

I tend to get dramatic colour changes when flying but figure it's just the altitude change - I suppose the opposite of HBOT!

Frogga xxxxx
frogga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote