View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Peer Pressure?

Dear Mr. Everett:

All kinds of people have Parkinson's. If the site is to be open to all Parkinson's patients, to have a "home" as beautifully stated by Kim, to vent, find support, etc., then the paragraph in your post explains exactly why the changes had to be made regarding posts allowed on this site.

"There is an opportunity here for NT to stand head and shoulders above the rest by taking the attitude that we're so darned good we don't care about the other guys. Our people are Free, not locked into some cyber-equivalent of the Company Town like those other guys. So long as nobody is rude and abusive (not to be confused with offensive) then let free speech be the rule. And if someone gets out of line give us - the community members - a chance to pin their ears back. If it gets rowdy then we can call for help but I bet we can handle a large part with simple peer pressure."

Because I am a minority in my views, I have had my "ears pinned back" by members on this site several times. Mob rule is not the way to run a site. Peer Pressure doesn't work. Would you encourage your children to use Peer Pressure against other student members of their schools? Would you allow your son or daughter to be bullied by other students because they did not have the same hairstyle, jeans, purse, music, as the majority? Has any one on this site been the subject of being teased or provoked because of the views they hold? What of the parent's who are scraping by on a small income and can't afford to keep up the fashions of the "Kool kids?" Should they be forced to sit back and watch their children be teased?

Doc John, Chemar, KimmyDawn, Curious Monkey and all the other moderators deserve thanks for making the choice to protect all members of this site, both the "gang" and the outcasts.

Caroline made the best suggestion to Laura. Post other sites on the sites that may be of interest.

Thanks moderators,
Vicky