View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
I do need to say one thing, though, as clarification.

Our community guidelines still exist, and they are not going away anytime soon. My experience with online communities is that, even with the best of intentions and the most mature group of people in the world, the community as a whole functions best with a small, basic set of rules.

I basically waived the one rule here, the one time, when I understood what the intention was. But that doesn't mean the rules don't apply here, or to all the members here. They do and they will continue to apply. It protects all members, even those who feel self-conscious or shy to speak up.

I also want to say this, because I think in the past, some of the community team here, including the moderators and co-administrators, have taken a lot on the cuff while trying to enforce the rules in this forum. And people cry out when they are just doing the job they volunteered to do.

But I will have less and less tolerance for any type of disrespect shown to my co-administrators or moderators. Without them, this community probably would've already self-destructed. Maybe it hasn't all been intentional, and maybe sometimes we forget that these are real people, just like you, with feelings that can also be hurt. They have tough skins, but when they get beat down and down again for just trying to uphold the guidelines, well, enough is enough.

This isn't directed to any particular member here. I just want to make it clear that we will still do our job here and in all the forums, as equally and as democratically as we are able. We're not always right, we're human, we make mistakes. And we'll try and own up to them when we have.

But I ask for your cooperation in this as well. And that if you want to discuss further administrative community issues, please do so on the Community and Forum Feedback forum (because, well, that's exactly what it's there for).

Thank you very much,
John
john;

I run a 1097 member DBS Surgery group. To date we have in excess of 21,000 posts.In that time I have censored 2 posts and kicked 1 person out of the group. it;s been my experience that if you let people know whats expected of them, they will self-police quite nicely.

I'd remind you that just because something offends your sensibilities, that doesn't necessarily offend ours. Often offensive posts are a cry for help. We cannot respond to this if the post is deleted.

We are all here to help each other. Please be circumspect in applying your rules.

Dear Curious;

I am sorry you are embarassed by us. We MUST become thick-skinned about things. I have been accused of being drunk, shoved out of the way for moving too slowly in the mall, etc. I have fought with members here. ( love ya Tena!!)Yet we always greet each other with a big hug. There is only one PWP that I have no use for. All the hundreds that I know, I think the world of.

Sometimes life is tough; we all need to learn how to get through it. ONLY another Person With Parkinsons can understand what we go through. This is not saying that you are not a caring individual, I am saying that you all, (thankfully) do not know what we go through. Rules that apply to the public at large simply do not work for us.

Anger is a useless emotion here. Caring about your fellow man is what it is all about.

If you strike a post or kick someone out, you have failed in your duties, IMHO.

We can self-police and do many times. It is usually non-PDers that cause trouble.

Please wield your power with caring and respect. Look at things through our eyes, (or let us look for you).

I bet I could get at least half your support group to take you up on your offer of help.

TOGETHER we can make this an even better forum than it is now!

Charlie Black, 57
Originally from Richmond KY. Grew up in Orlando, FL

17 years since my diagnosis. bi-lateral DBS-STN at UCLA in 2002.

Graduated from University of Central Florida with a degree in theater in 1972. Worked at Disneyworld for 3 years, doing stage and film lighting.
Moved to Hollywood in 1975.
Did commercials and features for 10 years
Then sitcoms as a chief set lighting technician.
Head of the Class, my Two dads, ad infinitum

After my diagnosis, I quit being a chief set lighting technician and started operating computerized lighting consoles. Finished my career in 2004 after 8 years on Frazier.
married to a wonderful lady, Bonnie. we have 5 children (and 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds!!) girls 22,19,17 and twin boys 13.

My wife does theme park entertainment and operations costumes for Disney world wide. I can always find her in a crowd, just follow the laughter!! She has done it all!! 2 Superbowl half time shows, Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Seas, Paris, Hong Kong to mention but a few.

Last edited by chasmo; 08-31-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: correction