View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Caution: Considerations before having DBS surgery

Jim,

Caroline knows of what she speaks. Listen to her. The doctor is to serve his patients. The only reason I believe that he might insist on Stalevo rather than a combination of Sinemet and Comtan is because he is receiving kick-backs from the pharmaceutical company for each prescription he writes.

Caroline, is their any way for a patient to determine if a doctor is recieving gifts from a Pharmaceutical company for writing prescriptions for their product?

Jim, find a different doctor. Before you have DBS surgery, be aware that you will not be able to participate in many research programs. If you are recently diagnosed, that may rule you out for a cure in the future. The DBS will help your symptoms, however; as you age you will find yourself suffering from illnesses other than Parkinson's that may require an MRI for a diagnosis such as arthritis. Medtronic says it can be done and gives certain rules to follow to the treating physician, but ends their instructions with "We can not be held responsible for any adverse reactions to the patient, even if all the instructions are followed. The treating physician is responsible." Under these circumstances, with the cost of malpractice insurance, what doctor worth his salt is going to risk it?

Jim, get a second opinion!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had DBS and have no regrets. But the only reason I was finally allowed to have it was because I spent 3 days in ICU in a coma while they tried to flush my body of all the chemicals I was prescribed over the 15 years I had been diagnosed with the disease. My Parkinson's disease is the genetic kind which shows itself more by dystonia than tremors. My sister also has PD and has decided not to have DBS. She is a Master Degree Registered nurse. Medtronic is pushing as well as rewarding doctors to use their technology. DBS is a wonderful technology that can save lives. But it is not meant to be for everyone. Each surgery should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Also any doctor with stock in Medtronic should send his patient to another Movement disorder physician. His monetary interest in the company compromises his interest in giving the patient impartial treatment.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote