View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

We're not like other online communities, and that's both good and bad. So unlike some online communities, I won't just let an "anything goes" attitude. I've seen too many vulnerable people get hurt in such communities, and while that may be fine for some, it's not fine by me. We're also not the kind of community that is all about controlling people, or having 150 rules you need to abide by. We have, what, 10? And most of them are fairly straight-forward and full of common-sense. Nothing on that list should raise anybody's eyebrow for a moment.

If everyone treated everyone else with respect and decency and treated them as they would if they were talking to them face-to-face, things would be easier. But sometimes we forget there are people behind these nicknames...

I do *not* see having to edit or remove a post, or suspending a fellow member, a failure of *our* "duties" here. I think it's disrespectful to suggest that just because this community has a *different* way of administering stuff than your community, it's somehow "lesser" or "failing." Really, it's simply two different ways of doing something.
Our duty is to provide a safe, supportive and reliable health support community, and we do that always with the utmost care and respect for the people who come here. People are requested to read and agree to the community guidelines before they even sign up here for membership now. And if someone crosses a line, we always PM them about the line, how they crossed it, and how, in the future, they could avoid having to cross it again (long, long before anyone is suspended). A lot of time, energy and effort is spent on these things, and anything of consequence is always discussed amongst the entire community team before any action is taken. A team comprised mainly of members like all of you.

John