View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default "Normal" Blood sugar levels can = damage

I'm "stealing" Janet Ruhl's thunder in a manner of speaking since I ran across this link that is to her diabetes site that she started and maintains but I thought it might be useful to post here. She has some very interesting info re: blood sugar levels and their affects on organ damage including nerves and PN. The post is a little dated but I think still useful as she cites several studies from Utah (Singleton and Smith's work), Johns Hopkins (Glenntaj's neuro, John Griffin) and Mayo Clinic in AZ that all corroborate each other w/ respect to the importance of oral glucose tolerance testing and PN.

She also has links to info re: blood sugar levels and beta-cell destruction (the cells that produce insulin). As one reads the info from the links it becomes more & more evident that even mildly elevated "normal" blood sugar levels, e.g. a prediabetic designation may already be seriously compromising the body's ability to produce insulin and the cells sensitivity to it - an already slippery slope to potentially developing PN.

Even if you are not diabetic or prediabetic the info may be helpful. I did put this up as a sticky too.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Alkymst
Alkymst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote