View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Chronic Insomnia and pregnancy at 40

Hi All,

I turned 40 the other week and my biological clock is ticking very loudly. I have suffered with very poor sleeping patterns for the last 10 years and as a result came down with CFS and adrenal exhaustion about 4 years ago. I am a little improved from then but still far from recovered.

I have been thinking about having a baby, but am concerned as to whether my body can hadle it.

The main issue it comes down to for me is energy. I have plenty of time on my hands - in fact too much sometimes. I havent worked for the last 4 years (only 1 day per week) because of my sheer fatigue with not sleeping well. Now i am studying 2 days per week, but i was willing to give that up to be a mum no problem.
M
y partner although he isnt who i imagined myself with for various reasons, IS very loving, caring, communicative and loyal. (He has a doonar, pillow and hot water bottle for his dog who he takes everywhere and loves to bits - i guess shes his child). He doesnt care either way about a child - if we dont have one, we want to go out there and help save endangered wildlife in some way!!

My ultimate concern is that with my energy being so low ( ive had a herpes breakout every month for the last 3 years - which tells me my immunue system is struggling) that having a baby will sap more of the core energy from which i am running on and i will feel like a zombie. when i go to shopping malls, the energy of kids running everywhere and shouting makes me feel really tired. I dont have any family or close friends in Perth, so there would be little help around.

Its just that there IS definitely a part of me that longs to be a Mum (and i know id be a good mum as i know i have a very loving gentle nature) but i dont want it to be at my own healths expense (hope that doesnt sound selfish). But, who knows maybe a baby IS what i need in my life and will lift me out of the depression ive had around feeling a little lost with that something missing.

I would really love to hear from anyone out there who has had children at a later stage in life who has been in a similar situation as me and their health has suffered as a consequense/or the baby's. Or any that didnt go the children route and if they regret it or not?

I know this is a very personal descision - its just that i am terrible when it comes to big decisions - and i dont have my mum around anymore to offfer her words of wisdom, so any advices/words of wisdom would be muchly appreciated.

Smiley
Smiley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote