Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Tessa

yes, Claire has put together some very helpful threads on photosensitivity and tics, and thankfully has them on Latitudes as well, as otherwise they would have been "lost" like so much valuable info was after the BT crashes over the years

My son definitely has certain photosensitive triggers, and, altho we do try to avoid the obvious ones where possible, we also are realistic about the fluorescent world we live in, and the trade off in tics vs TV, movies etc...what Claire refers to as "screens"

My son does actually avoid the cinema as much as possible as there, the combo of the darkened room with high flicker, loud sounds AND the many smells ranging from the cleaning chemicals, pesticides etc of the theatre, plus the perfumes etc from the patrons, makes for a major tic triggering event for him, both during and after the movie (His sensory integration dysfunction plus TS at work there)

At home we use incandescent lighting (and are concerned to hear it is being phased out in favor of compact fluorescent bulbs ) and we also have LCD TV and computer monitors to reduce flicker. My son always has a "daylight" lamp on when watching TV or using the computer after dark as this also reduces and "flashing" effect

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote