View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This should be a wake up call that the government is not going to be able to take care of you in a disaster. My dad always had extra food, water and fuel stored up just in case and we live in an area where we don't have tornados, hurricanes and such. We sometimes get a flood but they are nothing like what happens in other areas.

I have followed my dad's advice and all the siblings in our family have supplies of water, dehydrated food and a game plan should something go wrong. The last thing I want is to depend on my tax dollars to rescue me (being sarcastic there) You can bet that the rich in this town won't suffer but the middle and lower income will. It already happens that way now. How can a town with so much money do so little for our homeless? It really is sad.

I was shocked watching the news during Katrina and just could not believe that in this day and age people were dying in front of our eyes. How come the media could get there yet fema could not? There was an elderly woman sucking on a dry washcloth that was always on the news and it tore me up. I have always wondered what happened to her.

I also have to rant about Nagin. Why didn't he bring in buses and get people out of there before it hit? He was able to bring in buses to get people out to vote when he ran for re-election so where were the buses when they were really needed? I still think he dropped the ball along with the rest of the politicians who are always passing the buck.

My daughter went to school with a girl whos family was moved here and she said she had a bad attitude. Well when I pointed out to her that this girl lost everything, survived a horrible situation, was moved to a completely different area of the country and was dependent on others to survive. I think I would have a bad attitude too. It helped her to see that and they actually became friends. The family has since moved but not sure where.

Ok I am through ranting but at the very least try to be prepared for things that can and will go wrong. Katrina proved we only have ourselves to rely on...Sue

Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse. - Narrator (From the movie Matilda)