View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Consider:

Almost 35 years ago, my friend Diane had the first gastro-bypass operation. It was the original one. She weighed almost 600 lbs. We used to go into work together on the express bus. We became friends. She told me "people think I have a thyroid condition, but no, it's all eating" and I said 'what do you mean it's all eating?" and she said "when you go to a birthday party, you eat one or two pieces of cake, me??? I'll eat the whole cake". I said "Oh,"

She couldnt find socks to fit her in the winter. She went to work in anklets. I never forgot her. She married a man named Rick and had a child. No one knew she was pregnant because you couldn't tell.

So she finally had the gastro operation and she lost weight. She lost over 200 lbs. I will never forget the day I met up with her on the train. Do you know what a person who weighs over 500 lbs, and then loses 250 lbs. Well, do you know what the skin looks like? She was so happy she lost the weight that she wore pink pants and a sleeveless top. Of course I knew why she wore it. Because she never could wear that color before. But all the people were staring at her and at me because I'm hugging her and saying "Oh my god, you look terrific" and all they were seeing was the skin. I was just so proud of her.

Well, unfortunately, over the years, she gained it all back. I never knew this could happen. I thought, once you had this surgery, that was it. Thankfully, they have improved it in 30 years and now they have lap band surgery and various others. Thank god, because for many super obese, it's a life saver.

So you keep eating healthy and I will too.

I wish I could find some of my old photos. You'd die laughing.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote