Thread: Snoring
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Apnea, Allergies, Masks, and Spouses

I've been sleeping with a CPAP machine for more than a year now. It is definitely a big help. I snored for many years and was notorious for it among my family members. My sleep study revealed that I was only getting about four percent of the deep sleep that I needed. After starting CPAP, I started waking up after two or three hours of sleep feeling like I had had a full night's sleep. My therapist told me that it was because, over the years, my body had adjusted, and now, I was getting the same amount of deep sleep in less that 1/4 the time. A lesson here is that, just as the loss of deep sleep is usually very gradual, the benefits of using a CPAP machine may take a long time to be fully realized.

I've had allergies to things like pollen and mold for my whole life. One of the best things about the CPAP machine is the filter. Unless it's a real bad allergy day, my breating passages start to clear as soon as I put the mask on.

I have several masks because I've found it helps to rotate to avoid skin irritation. Getting the mask to fit right is very important, too. There are many different varieties, but I find I prefer the nose pillow type. Make sure you get a good humidifier, too.

Sleeping partners of people with sleep apnea tend to develop the same symptoms as do those with sleep apnea. Of course the snoring is a problem. My wife also kept worrying about the times I stopped breathing and tended to stay awake to make sure I didn't die. She now finds it reassuring to know that I have my mask on and that I am breathing well. She says she sleeps better now that I am sleeping better.

All things considered, my experience, and my wife's experience, with my CPAP has been very positive.
K.Ibsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote