View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I was just cruising "Who's Online" to see what people were reading and I came upon a moderated thread. Never heard of one of them before, so I naturally had to look. Wow. I knew I wasn't gonna post here. I watched the initial response to John's request for clarification, and couldn't believe it. Then I watched the tide shift and there was no reason to add my 2 cents.

But I was at BT when things were at their most chaotic. I was part of the chaos in that I was in a months long running battle with another member: I thought she was deliberately distorting my words and couldn't resist the temptation to tell her so. It got pretty ugly and finally JL hisself got involved. He literally told us both to sit down and shut up; I shut up and she didn't and eventaully got banned.

Looking back, I see that the disruption that battle caused was hurting other forum members, who hadn't come there to watch a war movie. I'm not cured, in fact, I recently saw one of my "shoot from the lip" posts deleted, and I was mad as Hell. Said so too. (Privately). Then I wrote a post that wasn't quite as openly frank.

Outside of the Ten Commandments, I don't think I've ever seen a list of rules I completely agree with, but I obeyed traffic laws when I could still drive, and I know that posting here is a privelege, and it is the one place I can get together with just about all my friends. These priveleges are so important to me that I try to stay within the rules.

Anyway, things finally settled down a bit at BT, and I think JL went from being too permissive to being too rigid and intolerant of any criticism. When it crashed and some of my friends told me about NT, I came over, felt more comfortable here than I did at BT, and I'm still here.

I think JL got too authoratative and it hurt BT badly. I personally think DocJohn went out of his way to be gentle when he asked for some clarification about the links, and those first responses were downright churlish. I got a little ****** at him for his later posts: I thought he should be somewhere between JL and being so willing to compromise once he understood that the links weren't recruiting posters. Instead of just saying that "Rules are rules", he still tried to reason with what I feel were unreasonable people. Maybe I'm just too crochety in my old age, but I'd have gone with "Rules are rules".

I decided to post when I saw how many Administration people were hurt by what happened here. I figure I've given mods (here and elsewhere), a fair ration of grief, and this is a good time to make a stand with them.

It may be that two posts about how great NT is and thanking the administration for making it possible, may look like evidence that I've mellowed in my old age, but I think its safe to assume I haven't seen my last PM from a mod; and I doubt these two posts will transform me into a "teacher's pet". I certainly hope not.

Meanwhile, a couple of people owe DocJohn an apology. He did not deserve the response he first got...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :